Great Taste, the world’s most coveted food awards, which celebrates the very best in food and drink, has announced the Great Taste stars of 2020. Out of over 12,777 products to be judged, family run Lakeland Artisan Ltd from Kendal Cumbria was awarded 15 awards in total, the highest of all producers in Cumbria, with six 2-star and nine 1-star Great Taste awards.
Geoff Monkman, Managing Director said “We thrilled to receive 15 awards this year, the most we’ve ever been awarded in one year. The great taste awards have added value to our business in terms of credibility, opening doors to new retailers, and seen our business go from strength to strength, and with our expansion early this year to purpose-build production kitchen, and two further shops, we are really pleased to have these awards. ”
The 2-star awards, “Above and beyond delicious” which less than 10% of entries will be achieved, where for:-
- Lakeland Liqueurs Spiced Fruit Rum Liqueur – “Evocative, sweet and woody warming spices with cherry greet the nose and remind you of Christmas pudding and a touch of cola and citrus.”
- Mawson’s Ginger Cordial– “A really cleverly balanced cordial which could have a multitude of uses. Super fresh in the summer as a thirst-quenching cooler on a hot summer day or the base of a much-needed winter warmer whisky cocktail in the brisk winter. Brilliant.”
- Mawson’s Dandelion & Burdock – “The taste is everything expected of this fine traditional drink. Simple ingredients combine in a wonderful marriage of slightly sweet herbal and earthy notes.”
- Mawson’s Spiced Fruit Punch “A very clever combination and served warm would be a perfect alternative to gluhwein. Cordials like this can easily slip into over sweet generic fruitiness but this is balanced and the dry edge from the elderberry helps offset the sweetness.”
- Cumbrian Delights – Sticky Toffee Sauce “This is a luxurious and indulgent sauce. On the palate, the judges thoroughly enjoyed the creamy, caramel butter tone and a hint of rum. A very well made product”
- Cumbrian Delights – Sticky Sass Sauce “A dark velvety, rich and intoxicating sauce. Smooth on the palate – a glorious mouthfeel. The flavour is a deep raisin, plum with a very gentle acidity which counterbalances the sweetness and settles into a long sweet/sour, fruity root beer finish. It’s glossy and glorious. A very delicious sauce which we can see has great versatility in the kitchen. Tremendous.”
1-star awards, which means judges dubbed them simply delicious for its:-
- Lakeland Liqueurs Honey Vodka Liqueur – “Rich, luscious and very sweet in the mouth”
- Lakeland Liqueurs Sloe Gin Liqueur “A lovely floral fruity nose reminiscent of sun-drenched hedgerows and brambles.”
- Mawson’s Cumbrian Cola Cordial “Definitely has a cola taste! A clean and refreshing blend with no synthetic aftertastes. Cleverly made and seems reassuringly traditional. The product has a much purer finish than a commercial cola. This is a satisfying drink”
- Cumbrian Delights Damson Extra Jam “A beautiful, dark, rich damson jam, the richness of colour creates a truly inviting experience”
- Cumbrian Delights Orange Marmalade with Ginger “A firm set amber marmalade, visibly full of peel and ginger. Importantly this marmalade wasn’t too sweet, indicating real skill.”
- Cumbrian Delights Lemon Curd “Creamy, golden coloured curd, with a fresh lemon juice aroma, it is silky smooth and perfectly set. “
- Cumbrian Delights Beetroot Chutney “What a superb vibrant colour, it’s truly gorgeous. The deep rich aroma of earthy beets is fresh and inviting.”
- Cumbrian Delights Cumberland Sauce “Appropriately fruity, a good and finely balanced Cumberland sauce.”
- Cumbrian Delights Lakeland Pickle “A dark and well-reduced pickle with good consistency. Compliments to the chef on retaining bite to the vegetables whilst having completely cooked out the onions”
The award-winning cordials are the same as what we use to make our sparkling Ready to Drink drinks, bottled right here in Cumbria on-site in our purpose build bottling plant.
Judged by over 500 of the most demanding palates, belonging to food critics, chefs, cooks, restaurateurs and producers, as well as a whole host of food writers and journalists, Great Taste is widely acknowledged as the most respected food accreditation scheme for artisan and speciality food producers. As well as a badge of honour, the unmistakeable black and gold Great Taste label is a signpost to a wonderful tasting product, which has been discovered through hours and hours of blind-tasting by hundreds of judges.
This year’s Great Taste awards add to the previous awards by the company, now totalling 65 awards. The award-winning products are handcrafted in our kitchen at Kendal Fell Business Park and are available for sale in our three shops in Windermere, Keswick and Bowness, as well as some of the more discerning shops and deli’s in the area.
Recognised as a stamp of excellence amongst consumers and retailers alike, The Great Taste Awards values taste above all else, with no regard for branding and packaging. Whether it is gin, biscuits, sausages or coffee being judged, all products are removed from their wrapper, jar, box or bottle before being tasted. The judges then savour, confer and re-taste to decide which products are worthy of a 1-, 2- or 3-star award.